Tanjung Puting National Park
Places to vist in Central Kalimantan
Places of Interest in Kalimantan
Other Indonesian locations
The Tanjung Puting National Park, located in
Central Kalimantan is a world class tourist attraction. This reserve
maintains 2 rehabilitation centers for orangutans that have been kept
illegally as pets are readapted to jungle life, Camp Leakey and Pondok
Tanjung Puting National Park was declared a Nature Reserve first in 1935 and then gained National Park status in 1982. It has 400,000 hectares of peat and fresh water swamp land.
Tanjung Puting National Park is home to a wide variety of fauna and flora including the Borneo Orangutan, proboscis monkeys (long nose monkey or Dutch monkey), macacque monkeys, gibbons, the clouded leopard, sun bears, crocodile, mouse deer and barking deer. There are 220 species of birds including the large hornbills.
How to get to Tanjung Puting National ParkThe closest town for entry into Tanjung Puting National Park is Pangkalanbun. Pangkalanbun has it's own airport which can be reached from Java or from other cities in Kalimantan. You can hire a speedboat from Pangkalanbun to get down the river 20 minutes to Kumai which is a small riverside village, the gateway to the National Park. Or you can arrange a driver or someone to take you on their motorbike.
Before going to Kumai you need to register at the Tourist Police station at Pangkalanbun giving them notice that you are going to the park. There is no cost to this registration.
Last updated 5th October 2012
Accommodation / Guest Houses
THE PHPA GUEST HOUSE is a small basic lodge which is managed by the park rangers to raise money for the orangutan rehabilitation centres with Tanjung Puting
Rimba Lodge Sekonyer River, one hour up river from Kumai, Central Kalimantan +62 532 6710589 Fax: +62 532 21923 email@example.com
English - Indonesian translator/dictionary
© 2009 Walkabout Indonesia
Other Travel Websites by same author:
Sumatra Travel Guide * Aceh * Batam * Berastagi * Bukit Lawang * Bukittinggi * Lake Maninjau * Lake Toba
* Medan * Padang * Pekanbaru * Pulau Banyak * Pulau Nias * Pulau Weh * Tangkahan
* Malaysia Travel Guide * Kuala Lumpur * Ipoh * Penang * Melaka * Mersing * Johor Bahru * Kota Kinabalu * Langkawi Island
* Kuching * Tioman lsland * Redang Island * Perhentian Islands * Pangkor Island * Sibu Island * Sipadan Island
* Singapore Travel Guide * Chinatown Singapore * Newton Circus * Orchard Rd Singapore * Clarke Quay * Boat Quay * Little India Singapore
Australia Travel Guide * Sydney Travel Guide * Sydney Restaurant Guide * Sydney Luxury Hotels * Sydney Moderate Hotels
* Sydney Budget Hotels * Sydney Tours * Parramatta Travel Guide * Parramatta Hotel Guide * Parramatta Restaurant Guide
* Brisbane Travel Guide * Brisbane Restaurant Guide * Brisbane Budget Hotels
* Melbourne Travel Guide * Melbourne Restaurant Guide
* Adelaide Travel Guide * Adelaide Hotel Guide * Adelaide Restaurant Guide