West Kalimantan - Indonesia
Places of Interest in Kalimantan
Other Indonesian locations
Pontianak, the captial city of the West Kalimantan province is a few kilometers from the sea, away from the coastal mangrove swamps. The city of Pontianak lies on the junction of the Kapuas and Landak Rivers.
The Jami Mosque was built a few centuries ago and remains mostly unchanged to the original layout. The Sultan's palace, an impressive wooden structure is located just 100 meters from the Jami Mosque. Both were built by order of Syarif Rahman. Not far from the Sultan's temple you can see exotic Bugis schooner's tied up at the docks of the harbour.
Around the market area and old Chinese quarters are several Taoist temples.
The Provincial Museum has a wealth of items relating to the local Malay culture and a fair number of Dayak items on display.
Places to eat in Pontianak
Restoran Beringin for quick and easy eats. Jl. Diponegoro No. 113. Tel: 734 787.
Listed below are 6 hotels in Pontianak with current 2009 prices and contact details:
Garuda Hotel located in Pontianak city centre, 25 minutes from Supadio Airport. Room prices from 250,000Rp (US$21) including breakfast. www.garudahotelptk.com
Hotel Peony is a 47 room hotel with room prices from 318750Rp (US$27) including breakfast and taxes. hotelpeony.com
Kapuas Dharma Hotel is a 3 star hotel located on the main street of Pontianak - Jalan Imam Bonjol. Room prices from US$33 per night www.hotelkapuas.com
Hotel Kini is a modern hotel located on Jalan Nusa Indah III in Pontianak. Room prices from 481800Rp (US$40) www.hotelkini.com
Hotel Santika a 4 star hotel in the centre of Pontianak. Jl. Diponegoro No. 46. Tel: 733 777. Published rates from 730000Rp (US$60) plus tax which includes breakfast for 2 people. www.santika.com
For online discounted hotel bookings in Pontianak check these websites:
Last updated 6th August 2009
Getting there and away
Pontianak's airport is called Supadio. A number of airlines service this including:
Pelni has ferry services from Pontianak to Natuna, Semerang (34hrs), Jakarta (33hrs) leaves every 3 days,
Kapuas Express has a ferry that goes from Pontianak to Jakarta twice a week taking 19 hours.
There are bus services between Pontianak and Kuching in East Malaysia. The bus takes about 8 hours between Pontianak and Kuching. If you are traveling from Kuching Malaysia into West Kalimantan Indonesia the border crossing at Entikong can issue Indonesian Visa on Arrivals. Prices are US$10 for a 7 day visa and US$25 for a 30 day visa of Indonesia.
English - Indonesian translator/dictionary
© 2009 Walkabout Indonesia
Other Travel Websites by same author:
Sumatra Travel Guide * Aceh * Batam * Berastagi * Bukit Lawang * Bukittinggi * Lake Maninjau * Lake Toba
* Medan * Padang * Pekanbaru * Pulau Banyak * Pulau Nias * Pulau Weh * Tangkahan
* Malaysia Travel Guide * Kuala Lumpur * Ipoh * Penang * Melaka * Mersing * Johor Bahru * Kota Kinabalu * Langkawi Island
* Kuching * Tioman lsland * Redang Island * Perhentian Islands * Pangkor Island * Sibu Island * Sipadan Island
* Singapore Travel Guide * Chinatown Singapore * Newton Circus * Orchard Rd Singapore * Clarke Quay * Boat Quay * Little India Singapore
Australia Travel Guide * Sydney Travel Guide * Sydney Restaurant Guide * Sydney Luxury Hotels * Sydney Moderate Hotels
* Sydney Budget Hotels * Sydney Tours * Parramatta Travel Guide * Parramatta Hotel Guide * Parramatta Restaurant Guide
* Brisbane Travel Guide * Brisbane Restaurant Guide * Brisbane Budget Hotels
* Melbourne Travel Guide * Melbourne Restaurant Guide
* Adelaide Travel Guide * Adelaide Hotel Guide * Adelaide Restaurant Guide